Re: Topband: Good Conditions

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Good Conditions
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 10:27:36 -0600

Thanks for posting that article Patrick.

Another HUGE factor is the Bz - as Bz drops below zero, the Earth's interplantary magnetic field orients South and becomes more susceptible to energetic particles which can lead to aurora. As Bz rises above zero the Earth's interplanetary magnetic field reverses to North, the opposite occurs, and cndx improve noticeably - especially on the high bands, but also impacting 40 -160.

Changes in the Bz orientation and magnitude can occur very rapidly, in seconds to minutes with very dramatic changes in propagation. In CQWWSSB 2021 I was noticing many 2 - 5 s-units swings in signal strength in seconds to a few minutes on 10 and 15 all weekend. Like someone was rotating the AF Gain knob back and forth on their radio!

There were similar but less dramatic swings in signal strengths on EU signals on 40 - 160 over extremely short time periods as the Bz moved from negative to positive and back again. These signal strength changes were not the usual QSB.

I'm sure that if Carl were updating his article in 2022 (his original article written in 2008) he would include Bz and discuss its importance. Bz direction and magnitude is one of the more important factors in 160 propagation as well as on 80 - 10.

73

Bob, KQ2M