Re: Topband: 1940 kHz intruder WWRU WKDM

To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>, Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1940 kHz intruder WWRU WKDM
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 08:44:51 -0500
I had a similar situation on VHF. I operate on 222 MHz among other nose bleed bands, and was greeted by a very large chunk of RFI in the SSB/CW portion of 220. Others in northern New England were hearing it too. It was loudest at my QTH. I identified some of the programming as that of Channel 11 in Deerfield, NH. So I took to the road with DF gear and found the problem was coming from the Channel 9 TX in Goffstown, NH. (WMUR) A call to them brought a quick response. We had a meeting on site and I demonstrated the problem. They found a bad module in their solid state Larcan transmitter. It was causing the intermod. The problem was solved quickly and no government agency got involved.

As a side note, when analog TV was phased out, I ended up getting some of those same Larcan Hi VHF amplifiers from Channel 9. They make great 222 amps!

73

Dave K1WHS