Re: Topband: Verticals on the beach

To: Dan Maguire <djm2150@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verticals on the beach
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 06:50:44 -0600
Thanks, Dan!

I have absolutely no concern about what I am achieving from about 240 degrees
CW to about 25 degrees.  I don’t think it gets much better for a single
element.  In terms of wavelength my 160m vertical is as close as your 20m
vertical example at about 8 feet.

It’s simpler to explain this way.  Draw a line across a sheet of paper and
everything above that line is salt water, everything below the line is average
ground and the line is running from the left at 215 to the right at 35 degrees.
 Then you have a 160m vertical that is 70 feet below the line and you want to
see the far field pattern at 45 degrees.  You don’t want it to assume the salt
water doesn’t exist because you have chosen an azimuth that doesn’t get you to
salt water for 15 miles.  The antenna is omnidirectional and little doubt the
salt water provides some enhancement to points that are 45 degrees and
thousands of miles away.  Specifically what I want to find out is how much
louder I would likely be in Europe from 25 degrees to 50 degrees if the
vertical was on that line you drew as compared to being 70 feet below the line.

 Can AutoEZ be used to model this?

Regarding the wonderful AutoEZ program..lf anyone is using EZNEC and isn’t also
using AutoEZ, it would be roughly equivalent having a cell phone for the sole
purpose of looking up turn by turn directions and choosing to opt out of the
feature that would allow you to push a button and say “Take me to McDonalds”

73… Stan, ZF9CW