Re: Topband: Small Loop does not receive weak signal on 160m BOUVET RX S

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Small Loop does not receive weak signal on 160m BOUVET RX SPOILER
From: <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:59:50 -0500
Doug NX4D asked me to add his comments,

Hey JC and Topbanders,  This is meant as a suggestion, not a criticism.

The reason I sounded an alarm to JC was the concern that the proposed SALAD/
LZ1AQ 160m receive loops by the upcoming Bouvet DXpedition/ 3Y0J are  much too
small for receiving weak signals on 160m.  With the current poor 160m condx, it
would be a shame for them to go to all this trouble and expense, then not be
able to pull in medium to weaker sigs with the loops.  I would suggest the
loop(s) be at least 10 ft (3m) diameter.

>From experience I found that my original WF with small phased loops could not
>hear the weakest sigs others around me were hearing, due to being thermal
>noise limited.  The solution was to make the loops much larger, by which I
>could then hear all sigs very well.

73/ NX4D