Re: Topband: Dipole/remote tuner

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Dipole/remote tuner
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 22:22:18 -0500
You can significantly widen the SWR bandwidth that your radio sees on 80m by
using a coax match. Connect your dipole to a 1/2 WL multiple of 50 ohm coax
and then add a 1/4 WL section of 75 ohm coax. Of course this does not change
the actual antenna's SWR but neither would a remote tuner.

John KK9A

Jake K9WN wrote:

Looking for input from the collective knowledge of the reflector.

You have a wire dipole for 75 meters fed with a 1:1/5K rated balun. You want
to transition to a remote tuner so you can move around 75/80 meters.

The question is: Do you leave the balun in place, or remove it and feed the
dipole directly from the remote tuner? We have mixed answers from the local
"Population". That's why I'm coming to the reflector.

Please, don't be critical and ask questions like: what gauge wire, bare of
covered wire, How high, yada yada yada,

That's all. Thanks in advance.

73  K9WN  Jake