Re: Topband: Topband - Stew Perry event just 48 hours away

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband - Stew Perry event just 48 hours away
From: Mark Connelly via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 17:18:15 +0000 (UTC)
There are many more SDRs online than are actually of much use for weak signal
DXing.
The map at http://rx.linkfanel.net/shows many sites.
What don't usually show are special temporary DXpedition operations.
DXpedition set-ups are typically at low noise coastal or high-altitude sites
not near urban RF congestion. "Real" antennas, i.e. with decent gain and
directivity, are typically used. For these reasons the short duration
DXpedition receivers usually blow the doors off what "permanent" sites offer.
Long-standing, if not permanent, sites along the North Atlantic that I have
found somewhat useful, such as when I have to disconnect my own stuff during
lightning storms, include the following:
Stratford, PEI, Canadahttp://47.54.214.91:8073/
Rockport, ME, USAhttp://rx2.wa2zkd.net:8073/
E. Falmouth, MA, USAhttp://kb1vwc.ddns.net:8073/
Elizabeth City, NC, USAhttp://kiwisdr.ku4by.com:8073/
Boca Raton, FL, USAhttp://boca.homeip.net:8073/
Kralendijk, Bonairehttp://bon.twrmon.net:8073/
---
Fuerteventura, Canary Islandshttp://ea8bfk.ddns.net:8075/
Bjargtangar, Icelandhttp://tangar.utvarp.com:8073/
Ireland (NW)http://irelandnorthwest.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/
=====
Antenna on most/all of the above should be considered non-directional, at least
by what I'm hearing.
There had been useful receivers at Key West, FL and in the Dominican Republic
but those are no longer active. There was also something on the western shore
of South Africa - that one also gone.
There's one in Trinidad which should be useful but is deaf / noisy.
Mark Connelly, WA1ION | South Yarmouth, MA | FN41vq