Re: Topband: The State of 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The State of 160m
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 11:27:40 -0700
On 7/1/2022 10:38 AM, Hans Hjelmström wrote:
Interesting info. You do not hate FT 8 ,,, I do.

I consider FT 8 killing all challenge,personal efforts and operating skills.

Sorry its the start of the end of our hobby,made by FT 8

Hans,

You are seriously mistaken. The massive proliferation of RF noise is what's killing weak signal work on ALL ham bands and all modes. FT8, and other encoding modes developed by K1JT and his collaborators, have given us a weapon to combat that noise.

In response to Bob's excellent post, I'll add that far too many DXpeditioners exhibit massive ignorance of propagation on bands below 20M. They are ignorant of the fact that gray line prop is good on 40M for two hours on BOTH the daylight AND the dark side of sunrise and sunset, for an hour on 80M, and for 30-40 minutes on 160M. FAR too often they shut down at the first sign of daylight, just when we start hearing them!

DXpeditioners also seem ignorant of what AA7JV observed first at Visalia and later at Dayton -- that the great openings on 160M tend to occur on one night out of a couple of weeks during an expedition, so that it's critical that the topband station be on the air on the two best weak signal modes, CW and FT8, whenever the band could be open. And to accomplish this, George developed a TX diplexer that allowed both CW and FT8 transmitters to simultaneously feed the TX antenna, and RX filters to allow RX antennas to reject the other mode's transmitter.

73, Jim K9YC