Re: Topband: Poor 160m DX Propagation

To: Henk Remijn PA5KT <pa5kt@remijn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Poor 160m DX Propagation
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:33:49 -0500
Hi Roger,

I monitor solar weather regularly and over the past 6 weeks there have been lots of C and M class Solar flares with an X class flare thrown in. Between all the flares, CME's and Radio storms there have been very few days when the K index has been below 2 even briefly, which, in Western CT is the propagation equivalent of throwing a wet blanket on a fire. Then add in the QRN from Thunder static and rain static plus at least FIVE Nor-easters in the past 6 weeks and you have all but eliminated most of the good band openings. I realize that the weather related storms don't affect propagation but all the qrn that they generate keeps some ops from wanting to turn on the radio to operate 160.

Perhaps the biggest cause of the reduced signal strength comes from the much higher Solar Flux and SSN numbers that we have been experiencing as cycle 25 ramps up. The higher levels of ionization, daytime absorption and increased MUF are all negatively impacting 160 M openings around the world. This will not improve significantly until the solar numbers are in decline again to low levels, hopefully not for another 5 - 6 years.

73

Bob, KQ2M