Re: Topband: Relay bounce

To: ok5mm@post.cz
Subject: Re: Topband: Relay bounce
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 08:42:25 -0700
A little follow-up on the "relay bounce". It's certainly possible that I
have mischaracterized the problem.

I have a newer version of the RCS-4. It has sealed, enclosed relays (P&B
RTE24012F). There are no back-EMF diodes or capacitors across the relay
coil. Unfortunately, the SO239's are riveted (not screwed) to the plate and
they used a large blob of solder to connect each one to the board. Adding
diodes/capacitors is not trivial. As an experiment, I bypassed the bias-T
configuration and ran the control voltage on a separate wire. Alas, that
reduced the switching spike by 90%. I think that does point to the relay
coil back-EMF getting into the RF line.I will note that there is a 220 uF
electrolytic across each relay coil.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

73,
Steve, N2IC