Re: Topband: Series LC to notch AM broadcast ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Series LC to notch AM broadcast ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:55:36 -0800
On 2/20/2022 3:33 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Somewhat related was my effort to produce a pair of 80m notches so CW and SSB could run 80m simultaneously on Field Day (separate antennas). While the CW guys would be ok with 20KHz BW, not so for the SSB team. Just below a Rx 40db notch was about the best I could do with a one db loss Tx.

For CQP county expeditions, we've often run CW and SSB on 80 at the same time, also on 40, using K3 and KPA500, with nothing more than resonant half-wave dipoles carefully sited colinear, separated by 250-300 ft, and serious chokes at each feedpoint. The chokes are important -- they prevent feedline pickup from filling in the nulls.

For 7QP, we rig a 2-el 20M Yagi a few feet above a 40M dipole, with an 80M inverted V just below that, also a pair of K3s, KPA500s, and carefully located double stubs to kill 2nd harmonic on CW. We also have W3NQN BPFs on both radios. They're part of W6GJB's contesting trailer, documented in these slides, but before Glen built the 2-el 20M folding Yagi. And we're rigging them closer now. k9yc.com/7QP.pdf Again, chokes at the feedpoints are critical -- we forgot once (thankfully the day before in Glen's driveway), and it blew the isolation. And, of course, nothing will help passive IMD generated outside the RF chain.

73, Jim