Re: Topband: Radials on ground v FCP

To: Kenny Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>, d.cutter@ntlworld.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials on ground v FCP
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:24:24 -0800

On 1/10/2022 10:42 AM, Kenny Silverman wrote:
N6BT’s ring is pretty flexible in its dimensions. It can be 3 or 4 sides (or
anywhere in between) and can handle some variation in symmetry.

I’ve been having issues finding a solution to the high tree attenuation on my property and I
had an inverted L with the ring and another inverted L 340’ away with 60 x 100’
radials.  The model showed there was some interaction between the 2 antennas so exact difference was
not known. But basically the ring was very close to the 60 radial version.

One of the key issues is making sure the inverted L section is close to resonance. If
it’s short, more current is moved into the ring which is not desirable.

Regards , Kenny K2KW

Actually, you are kidding yourself making the inverted L long enough to be resonant. That has the effect of moving more current into the horizontal part of the inverted L, which is also not desirable. The solution to this dilemma is to use a top loaded (T type) vertical, and a loading coil if necessary. The resonant inverted L is "elegant" but not optimal.

Rick N6RK