Topband: N4AR story

To: 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: N4AR story
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:55:21 -0800
So sad to hear about Bill's passing.

I think it was 1971, I got an itch to try 160 meters during the ARRL 160
contest. I had a RX, but no TX.  After trying unsuccessfully trying to
borrow a Drake T4XB from a local club, I finally borrowed a Meissner Signal
Shifter from W6DGH (now N6AA).  This ran a few watts and with some coils on
the ends of my 80 meter inverted vee, I was able to make some QSOs -
working the six western states closest to W6.

However, I was tormented by hearing a strong signal from K4GSU from
Kentucky all the first night and was determined to figure out a way to work
him.  I had an SB-101 that I fed the output of the signal shifter into the
grid of the 6146s - and then crammed some ferrite into the tank coil and
added some padding capacitors to the plate and load caps.

Not sure how much of my energy was actually going out on 160 versus 80
meters - but it was enough and K4GSU ended up in the log on the second
night.  My first "DX" QSO on topband.

RIP Bill.

Tree N6TR