Re: Topband: Balloon Supported Vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Balloon Supported Vertical
From: Adrian <vk4tux@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 08:02:53 +1000
I have been doing it here for well over a year. I originally set it all up with a 1/4w vertical for 630m,

'which performs very well., Then also 160m and 80m using 3/4w lengths

For 160m I use 90cm latex balloons fully inflated. I use the online wind forecast showing area

wind velocity and direction. Over 7km/h it is a waste of time. A small wind velocity 5km/h and less is beneficial

if the direction is away from the target DX. It becomes directional back in from the line lean angle.

A slight breeze above 7km/h will bring the balloon down quickly, and getting snagged in trees with gusts is a common issue.

It is a game of luck as often the wind forecast is inaccurate, but when all is well it is unbeatable.

I use a G size industrial supply Helium bottle, for which I also pay rent monthly. It is still cheaper than a tower,

that would never get approval on a small block. As the activity is at night it is reasonably stealth.

vk4tux