Re: Topband: Update to the SFI predictions in my May QST Article

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "topband " <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Update to the SFI predictions in my May QST Article
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 11:56:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Frank

Its impossible to know at this early date if 2010 is a good solar flux
index model for 2021 , it depends how optimistic you are. Hopefully
we'll be able to make better judgements (guesses?) in about six months.

For example:

The solar flux index was mostly below 80 until February 2011, then
suddenly jumped to mostly above 100 from March through August,
and suddenly jumped again to 140 in September, but -- disappointingly --
stayed only at about 140 and occasionally a little higher for almost
four years.

Sudden jumps in SFI may happen this year -- or not -- its impossible
to know. Be very skeptical of anyone who tries to convince you
otherwise. That's why I very carefully crafted the wording in the
paragraph in my article that addresses solar flux growth from
2021 through 2023.

This is excellent site toexamine historic SFI values. You can zoom
the date range using the sliders in the graph. Its best to select
logarithmic Y axis:

https://lasp.colorado.edu/lisird/data/penticton_radio_flux

Please don't forget to vote for your favorite May QST article here:

http://www.arrl.org/cover-plaque-poll

73
Frank
W3LPL