Re: Topband: Ground Radial question - Perimeter connections

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Radial question - Perimeter connections
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 05:35:10 -0500
It depends.  If you have two or more verticals for a phased antenna,
and full length radials, the points where the ground systems intersect
is where the radials should be terminated and bonded to copper strap
running along the boundary where they cross each other.  If you have
an out building in the radial field, a strap is usually run around the
foundation of the building, radials run up to that and bonded to it,
then continued on out on the other side.  These are methods prescribed
in broadcast engineering texts, and what you'll find at a commercial
ground system installation.

If you have one vertical and a ground system for it, you don't need to
do anything.  Some professionals terminate compromised lengths (i.e. <
1/4 wave) with short ground rods or strap but I am not sure there is
any real benefit to that.  If it were me, I'd put my money and effort
into more radials rather than perimeter strap.

73
Rob
K5UJ