Re: Topband: Portable Flag follow up (DX Engineering preamp noise figure

To: "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Portable Flag follow up (DX Engineering preamp noise figure update)
From: John Kaufmann via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:45:14 -0500
I have the DX Engineering preamp that I use with the DX Engineering portable
flag and can confirm the 4.5 dB noise figure.  Using the methods I described
here in an earlier post, I measured the noise figure as between 4 to 5 dB.

Also I measured the gain (S21) from 0.1 to 30 MHz with my VNA-2180.  It
comes out to be 32 dB at 1.8 MHz.  Overall the gain response is essentially
the same as what WD8DSB measured on a prototype of the preamp and reported
on his Web page (https://sites.google.com/site/portableflagantenna/).  There
is a broad dip in gain of about 1 dB in the middle of the HF range, but it's
inconsequential.

Finally I measured the input impedance (S11) of the DX Engineering preamp.
It varies a bit with frequency but when reported as SWR relative to 50 ohms,
it ranges between 1.2:1 and 1.5:1 over the HF range.  It will be a fine
match for the flag which has a 50 ohm feedpoint impedance.

Overall I think these are very good numbers for a relatively inexpensive
preamp that is portable and battery powered.  (Disclaimer:  I have no
affiliation with or commercial interest in DX Engineering).

73, John W1FV