Topband: ARRL SSB Contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL SSB Contest
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 17:34:04 -0000
Well I'm glad EU signals were good with you Ken !

However, when conditions are good, the big NA signals are normally S9 or
more with me (on a calibrated S Meter) . . . whereas most last night were
only around S4 to 5 . . . only a couple peaked S7.

I could tell there were often several weak signals calling me . . . but they
were just too weak to be readable on SSB.

Also, I did notice that a couple of the big European stations were calling
CQ endlessly, but often getting very few replies (or none that they could
copy).

Anyway, I shall be on again tonight to see if there are any more I can work.
Even if you have no intention of entering the Contest (like me), I hope
stations will come on to see what 160m DX they can work on SSB.

One thing that would be useful to know is where on the band most of the NA
stations congregate in this Contest . . . the problem with not hearing many
of them is that it's hard to know if a frequency you pick to call CQ is
actually clear !

73 Roger G3YRO

  _____