Re: Topband: The WD8DSB mini-flag antenna

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The WD8DSB mini-flag antenna
From: Steve Lawrence via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 10:59:04 -0800
Yes very nice article and design by Don.

Flags/loops do not exhibit gain but rather directivity. The larger the loop the
greater the capture area and the less of a need for a preamp. I routinely use
my full size flag without any preamp external to the rig.

A correctly designed and built full size flag will exhibit front/back of 25-30
db.

If smaller loops (and I've tried many) have "essentially the same RDF as other
larger flag or pennant antennas" I could have saved myself a lot of work by
never having put up a full size flag. Size matters.

For the purpose of direction finding of relatively close noise sources, Don's
implementation looks excellent.

73 - Steve WB6RSE