Re: Topband: KM5KG network designer

To: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: KM5KG network designer
From: Chris G3SVL <chris@g3svl.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 18:23:16 +0000
Hi Eric,

Long time no speak - hope you are well.

Have you looked at SimSmith? It appears to do some of the things you are looking for. Plenty of videos on YouTube or start here perhaps: https://www.w0qe.com/SimSmith.html

73 Chris, G3SVL

On 10/02/2021 17:16, Eric Scace K3NA wrote:
    Grant KM5KG (SK) had a Windows program for impedance matching network
design that provided current and voltage levels for each component in the
system, based on the power passing through the network to the load, as well as
many other useful features for reducing a theoretical design into a practical
implementation. I had a copy at one time, but it seems to have disappeared.

    Does anyone have a copy?

    More generally, is there a modern software tool available that:
supports an arbitrary placement of inductors, capacitors, stubs and line
segments between generator and load
calculates the peak V and I on each element
calculates Z at the input of each stage in the network
nice to have:
Smith chart overview
multiple frequencies; i.e.:
load characterized by Z at several frequencies
Smith chart display of Z with those frequencies at each stage

    I’ve hand-built Excel spreadsheets for specific networks to do the above, but it’s
very easy to make programming errors on a complex spreadsheet…

    Thanks for any suggestions.

— Eric K3NA