Re: Topband: Looking for recommendation for cutting tool for RG-6 with C

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Looking for recommendation for cutting tool for RG-6 with CCS center conductor
From: Steve K8LX <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 16:05:39 -0500
My favorite cutting tool after many years as a SMATV contractor is the Thomas & Betts/Belden IT1000.

It's a prep tool and compression tool all in one, but that's not why I like it so much. It just does a great prep job.

There are two basic styles of prep tools - the cylinder style, where you stick the end of the cable into a cylinder and twist, thereby ejecting spiral shaped material out the side. These can work OK if the cable is sized just right and the blades are new, but in general they're a joke.

The other type is the clothespin style with a finger hole. These have a pair of parallel blades spaced 1/4" or so apart to make the two cuts that are needed as you spin it around the cable.

However this type of prep tool is available in two styles - one that has a cable stop so that you can NOT push the cable through in order leave the center conductor long. Don't buy that type.

The IT1000 (and others) do not have a stop, so you can leave the center conductor as long as you want. I usually leave an inch or so sticking out.

Two advantages to this.

1) You can make your initial cut of the cable with any old cutters, doesn't matter if they flatten the cable because you are prepping the cable up where the cable is still round.

PLUS - after the connector is push onto the cable, you can then cut the center conductor a little long (1/8"-1/4") and then compress. This makes the connector infinitely easier to mate with some female connectors.

Some of them seem to be sized for RG59 and it takes some force to insert. And in real cold weather the center conductor can pull back a little without going open. Cut the center conductor at an angle.

Don't worry that the longer center conductor will bottom out in it's mate - I've never seen a female F connector that couldn't handle 3/8".

I'll add the blades for the IT1000 last for hundreds, probably 1000's of cuts, and replacements are fairly cheap.

-Steve K8LX