Re: Topband: Coax as wire for reversible beverage

To: Kenny Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coax as wire for reversible beverage
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 13:45:56 -0800
Based on poor results (very low rdf) with no messanger RG6 over a barb wire fence I built and subsequent modeling that showed this, I think another parallel conductor near any Beverage is not a good idea. It was easy to support the plain RG6 with PVC pipes tied to posts and I think extending the steel fence posts would also be ok, as they are perpendicular to the wave prop and a tiny fraction of the wavelength.

A messenger steel wire plus its insulation will also likely have more loss and different prop velocity than the braid/foil of the RG6, so connecting them together may not work well. Solid copper conductor RG6 is advisable given the 160m skin depth for Cu plating over steel of most RG6 optimized for 1GHz.

Grant KZ1W