Re: Topband: Inverted J antennas?

To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted J antennas?
From: Dave Cuthbert <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 08:58:17 -1000
Rudy, N6LF, wrote a great article on his elevated radial experiments.

https://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2012/02/elevated-radial-ground-systems-some-cautions.html

Rudy says,
"1) Use at least 10 to 12 radials.
2) Make an effort to have the radial system as symmetric as possible.
3) Keep the radial system as far as possible from other conductive objects.
4) While it is certainly possible to use almost any height for the
vertical, I suggest you start with H = λ0 /4 and trim the radials for
resonance. This makes H a little tall, but it shortens your radials
(especially if you’re using 10 to 12) and raises the feed point impedance a
bit.
5) Use a balun or common mode choke on the feed line at the base of the
vertical. To be effective, the balun should have a shunt impedance of >2
kΩ. 6) If you have a special problem situation by all means model some
trial solutions first. That will save you a lot of time over cutand-try in
the field. If you can't afford NEC4 software, the free NEC2 software will
still be very helpful. (