Re: Topband: Vertical choke needed?

To: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical choke needed?
From: Michael Walker <va3mw@portcredit.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:22:27 -0500
Hi Wes

The chokes do a few things.   For transmitting, they keep the RF off the
feedline.   It is critical for RX and TX.

Just as importantly, they keep RF and Noise off the feedline while
receiving, and this is what you want.  The quieter you are, the more you
can hear.

Common Mode Currents can raise make it harder to hear weak signals and I
have seen and heard this with my own ears, as many others have.  How about
I reduced my 80M noise floor from S9 to lower than S6.  I'm not sure on
160M as I didn't really get going on 160 until after I was loving chokes.
I now buy them in lots of 50 in bulk from Digikey.

Read these pages.  This is where I started a long time ago
http://www.yccc.org/Articles/W1HIS/CommonModeChokesW1HIS2006Apr06.pdf.
Well worth the read.

Next, read Jim's stuff  http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

He is part of this group, and I know he will comment at some point.

Mike va3mw