Re: Topband: standoff for inv L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: standoff for inv L
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 11:20:38 -0400
VE9AA:

I don't have a tower supported Inverted L, but I have a slightly different
way of supporting the center of a 20m 4-square array of inverted L's and
wanted something non conductive so I use 1.5" grey electrical PVC conduit
and it's stood up many years in a harsh environment with wild temperature
swings and all winter can throw at it, but the UV up here is on the lower
end of the scale.

Because PVC can get floppy in the heat or with lots of ice buildup, support
it from above (from the far end, back to the tower, some distance above the
PVC arm) with rope. (think triangulation)

If you are located where UV may be an issue, tape it like Jim has said.

WW3S:

I lost my fiberglass pole that I use for a standoff for my inv L off my 50'
tower.....second or third time in 12 years or so, victim of the recent
ice/snow storm we just had.....I've been using fiberglass to isolate it from
the tower.....but the wire for the antenna goes thru an insulator attached
to a rope thru a pulley off the fiberglass arm.....should I continue to go
with fiberglass, or would metal be ok, since I have the rope and other
insulator there.... _________________

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB