Re: Topband: EZNEC Ground Errors

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: EZNEC Ground Errors
From: "List Mail" <mail10@barefoothorse.com.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 12:36:49 +1100
It's interesting how people's experiences differ, and how their perceptions of how something actually works, and how a computer model calculates how it should work. I have used MMANA-GAL to model designs, and it certainly helps to quantify my measurements, and is a good start. "Your Mileage May Vary" is a great disclaimer, after a system is described!

Also interesting is how DXing experiences vary from place to place, for example Roger's situation where he has a high density of activity to his east at medium range in Europe making difficulties, when he's looking for other medium to longer range DX in NA to his west. Those in USA east have a high density of local stations making it difficult to work DX. In VK/ZL most of our wanted DX is quite long range, with very few locals. Consequently, our receiving requirements differ.

My first DXing on 160 m was with a 160 m long doublet antenna, up about 20 m supported by trees. That whetted my appetite for the band, and so I constructed a top loaded vertical, over elevated radials. That worked, and I made DXCC. Next, the elevated radials went (then kept falling down anyway!) and I made the effort to bury 2000 metres of wire in 60 x 33 m radials. That appears to work, but I have no way of objectively comparing the elevated radial system to the buried radial system. But one aim of the buried radials, was to have a non-resonant ground radial field, as I also run 80 m over it. Next is to put up a 37 m high tower, so I have close to a quarter wave on 160 m. That is my project for the Christmas break. I'm hoping to have that up and running before the end of the summer DX in the mornings to EU.

73, Luke VK3HJ