Topband: DXE Thunderbolt

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DXE Thunderbolt
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 18:55:59 -0000
David I'm inclined to agree with the other Gs . . . you could do this MUCH
more cheaply yourself (maybe a tenth of the cost) . . . and probably make a
stronger and more efficient antenna.

21ft thick-walled alloy scaffold aren't that expensive, yet are extremely
strong . . . and if you see a scaffold van parked, ask the driver how much
he could let you have a couple for (I think you'd be surprised!)

Clamp 2 together, and add another 21ft normal thickness pole on top
(obtainable from any TV aerial company).

Then increase the length with a horizontal wire section, to get it resonant.

Personally, I wouldn't even use the poles as the radiator . . . easier to
just run a thick wire from the top to a couple of feet out from the bottom .
. . if you want to increase efficiency use 6 wires in a cage.

And if you do that, you could use a fibreglass top section - old Windsurfing
masts are cheap as chips on eBay and VERY strong ! (I still Windsurf, so
have several of these)

73 Roger G3YRO