Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:02:38 -0600
Our club is working on a project where we will be able to use a AM Broadcast antenna on 160 meters.

It should be fantastic! on 160 the antenna will be almost a perfect 5/8 wave antenna. Between that and the incredible AM broadcast band radial system, it should be incredible.

BUT.... And there always is a BUT isn't there?

The system works and works great! We can use the antenna even while the AM station is still running!

Between the matching part, the 160 meter passband part, and the AM broadcast freq notch filter, it works great, BUT...

And there is that word again. With everything being so high performance that allows us to actually run with the AM station still being on, with no degradation of performance. The bandwidth is extremely narrow. We can move maybe 10 Kc plus or minus, before the performances start to fall apart.

This being said. If we were to go ahead and try this setup in a average 160 meter contest, (wont be the one coming up we are not that ready yet) but if we were to try to use this, and have only a 10 to 20 Kc window, what center freq would be the best for us to park on?

Joe WB9SBD

https://www.avg.com