Re: Topband: Looking for a 2n5109

To: Edward stallman <ed.n5dg@gmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Looking for a 2n5109
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 10:08:30 -0700
FYI, since the genuine 2N5109 is so difficult to source (and the 2N3866), you might want to look at using a DCP68. This is a surface mount device that will electrically replace the 2N5109 in the W7IUV preamp provided you don't need to operate it at frequencies higher than 3 Mhz.

I have successfully used this device by simply soldering short leads on the part and installing it directly in place of the 2N5109. You do need to provide a heat sink of some sort. I have soldered the collector pad down to a 3/4 inch square pad on an PCB and have also just soldered a 3/4 inch square, or larger, piece of copper sheet directly to the collector tab.

The measured NF at 137 kHz and 475kHz is about 1 dB better than the 5109 and about 0.5 dB better on 1.8 Mhz. Best of all is that it costs less than a buck and is available from most common distributors.

73,

Larry - W7IUV