Topband: 160m activity

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m activity
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:26:54 -0600
There is still a great deal of CW activity on 160m !

What we need is more guys calling CQ and less just listening and saying that no
one is active!
With the usual very fast QSB on 160m, just scanning the band and listening for
RBN spots will not work very well. Especially if everyone is just listening!
I, like a few others will call CQ for 1 or 2 hours. I often find it surprising
what signals will pop out of the noise!  Often the QSO is “squeezed" into a
30-40 second QSB peak!
(kinda like FT8 QSOs being completed in the 15 second cycle!)

In the 2 months since August, I have worked 99 EU DX on 160m CW.
Many repeat calls, but 35 unique call signs. On Saturday night I worked 16 EU,
but….I stayed up till EU sunrise calling CQ.

Here is a list of the EU calls that have made it into the VE6WZ log since
August.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SplivMvfoylcFIdeIsp4ggVS797ihqG-/view?usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SplivMvfoylcFIdeIsp4ggVS797ihqG-/view?usp=sharing>

I personally still find the band exciting every night (and every morning)
wondering what signals might emerge from the noise.

73, de steve ve6wz