Re: Topband: [bevantennas] Ground screen under beverage....

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [bevantennas] Ground screen under beverage....
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 15:40:25 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Rick,

I'm not aware that any details of this phased array Beverage design
were ever published. M ost likely it was documented only in internal
government engineering reports.

These very large phased Beverage arrays continue to operate with
excellent results up to 30 MHz, some of its unusual design details
may be significant only to their high performance at the upper
end of their frequency range.

Just how large are these phased arrays? Yes, there's more than one array...
They're only 300 feet long but 2500 feet wide (yes, 2500 feet) ! That
should give you a clue that they don't operate near any of our lower
frequency HF/MF ham bands.

An interesting aspect of its design is that each Beverage in the arra
uses three wires separated horizontally by about four feet, similar
to the the three wires used to broaden the VSWR bandwidth of military
and commercial rhombic antennas. The three wires join together at both
the feed point and at the termination.

Many decades ago these phased Beverage arrays replaced phased
rhombic receiving arrays, two high and two wide.

I'm sure some antenna modelling would provide some clarity to
your questions. I wasn't involved in aspect of the design activity.

73
Frank
W3LPL