Re: Topband: Windows 10 Update heads up

To: Mail 10 <mail10@barefoothorse.com.au>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Windows 10 Update heads up
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 10:33:27 -0700

I still prefer Windows 7 too...

73, Luke VK3HJ

Windows 7 wasn't a safe harbor in the
first place.

Last October, I was running Win 7 for my PC with
Flex installed.  An update blew out the CAT driver.
As a result, I missed the Stew Perry.

To make a long story short:  Flex and their 3rd
party driver supplier told me they no longer
support windows 7.  I ended up using an out of
date win 7 machine for the rest of the year,
then in January I updated all machines to Win10.
That luckily went amazingly smoothly.

Now that Win 7 no longer gets auto updates, I
guess it is Flex proof.  Of course it is vulnerable
to every other attack.

I don't use my shack computer with auto updates turned
off to do anything but ham radio.  So I am less concerned
about having the updates off.  MS makes it difficult to
easily turn updates on and off.  You have to go about 10
levels deep in the menus and the choices are not obvious.
I had to save a cheat sheet I found on line to remember
the menu picks.  I'm glad I paid for Pro Windows.

Rick N6RK