Re: Topband: 1610 KHz AM Channel in USA

To: "160" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1610 KHz AM Channel in USA
From: "m.r.c." <mrc02@kinderteacher.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 18:41:16 -0700
I have observed that airport related TIS seem to be going away for lack of public interest. The one for LAX was decommissioned more than 10 years ago. It takes regular daily time and effort from a duty person to record updates and current useful information. The vast majority of travelers get the information on their cell phones and or traffic displays on their vehicular GPS device

The most neglected function in the FCC licensing process is reporting termination of use. In a bureaucratic system like a county or airport management operation, they have many licenses in many categories, and the safest action a clerk can take is to renew all licenses unless receiving a written directive to notify the FCC to cancel a license. The station itself could have been gone for a decade and the license is current. They are not like broadcast licenses where non use gets a termination notice.

Its also likely a smaller number are operating "outside" the licensed terms - likely due to a transfer of responsibility for facilities that was incomplete in this respect and the license did not get renewed by the prior agency.

AND, so few people are listening, who is going to report that a TIS is not transmitting when it is supposed to? Many TIS are not continuous transmissions,. They are only activated with there is snow or a fire or whatever the purpose of the TIS occurs - and there usually isn't anyone whose job it is to notice if the TIS is not transmitting

If you can hear it, you probably can identify it if you listen long enough. County road condition TIS may not get updated very often. The recorded information is SUPPOSED to include the callsign every 15 minutes or less. you can work backwards from the specifics on the recording in many cases

study some of the "low Power" AM broadcast frequencies and see what you can hear, and select on your directional array, then make note of it along with time of day. (remember that MANY AM stations make a radical change in power and antenna pattern at sunset/sunrise. that is LOCAL sunset/sunrise. 5KW day Omni and 250W night directional is not unusual. One station in my area is 50KW directional daytime and TEN WATTS directional in the opposite direction at night

what you can count on is consistency (usually). whatever a station is required to do, they actually do every night/day transition

Robin WA6CDR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>