Topband: Measure dipole on ground to get VF of BOG.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Measure dipole on ground to get VF of BOG.
From: Mikek <amdx@knology.net>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 12:22:10 -0500
I'm about to do some measurements on a BOG.
 I've been a little slow getting things working, I've now got my inside and outside boxes assembled, I understand I can break the BOG in the middle and find resonant frequency as a dipole. From that I can calculate the VF. I may leave this for a while and hope for rain to get some
different measurements.
 I also wonder about measurements, on the ground, at 1" above ground, and at 2" above ground. Is there any advantage to the pattern or signal strength. At 2" inches I could weed whip to keep it weed free.

 On a second note, I'm building it long, for the AM band and considering using KD4Zs stretch modules (in my case shrink modules)  for 160M and 80M bands. Although I think I would just terminate instead of reflect.

 Your thoughts? any good pages about the Dipole on ground measurements appreciated.

                            Mikek   KF4ITA