Re: Topband: Feedline Grounding and Feedline Chokes

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Feedline Grounding and Feedline Chokes
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 22:44:59 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Bob,

Bonding (not grounding...) coax to the bottom of a tower helps to
divert lightning currents from the coax shield to the ground system
at the base of the tower

Bonding coax to the top of the tower helps to equalize the voltage
between the coax and the tower face. This helps to avoid pin holes
in the coax during a lightning strike.

Bonding all coax, control cables and all other external wiring to the
a ground system at the entry to your shack forces the voltages on all
of those those cables to be equal.

None of this is related to common mode suppression. That is best
accomplished by a choke near the feed point of the antenna.

73
Frank
W3LPL