Re: Topband: 300 ohm twin lead for bidirectional Beverage antennas

To: a Topband COL <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 300 ohm twin lead for bidirectional Beverage antennas
From: KD0Q <kd0q@traer.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 08:28:34 -0600
Hi Joe,

I'm no expert but have figured out how to keep my bi-directional Beverage
antennas up with the least amount of work.  My location is wooded so
falling tree limbs are a constant problem.  It's not a question of if
something will break, it's a matter of when it will break and how much work
it is to fix it.

I've found that Military surplus WD-1 wire seems to hold up well.  In my
case, the wire is supported by trees using electric fence insulators.   I
have a short length of 20 GA hookup wire as a mechanical "fuse" between the
last insulator and the support at each end.  Crimp splices on the WD-1
conductors complete the protection.  Depending on the size of the fallen
limb, either an insulator or two need to be replaced, or, insulators, 20 GA
"fuse"  and the crimp splices.  In either case, I've never had to replace
any wire.  Except where the critters have chewed it near the transformers.

Although the close spacing and low impedance of WD-1 wire may not be
optimal for a Bi-directional Beverage antenna, it's better than one with a
broken wire.

I use KD9SV transformers, which are designed for use with WD-1 wire.  They
have 2 feedlines.  I have two antennas, NE-SW and NW-SE, so I put a switch
box near the antenna terminations and only have a control cable and one
RG-6 run from the shack.

Hope that helps.

73, Glenn - KD0Q