Re: Topband: Dacron & varmits

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Dacron & varmits
From: fmoeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:44:22 -0500
Here in KY the squirrels and raccoons are the problem. Not sure which one is
the problem. So far I have not seen any nibbling. They just untie and unroll
it. They never untie and drop the antenna. I was told it's the sent on your
hands that make them do this. Let us know what you do. Good luck Fred KB4QZH
-------- Original message --------From: kliegle@myfairpoint.net Date: 2/18/20
2:59 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: topband@contesting.com Subject: Re: Topband: Dacron &
varmits   The line from� http://synthetictextilesinc.com/supportham.html�is
good stuff. Buy it directly from them in 1000' spools, and cut out the middle
man prices at the various amateur radio retailers (they sell the same line!).
Tie a knot today, come back a year or two later and it will come apart and can
be used again. Not recommended for passing over tree branches directly, the
black sheath will eventually fray, use pulleys to those installations.� �For my
160M and 80M inverted Vee's, I use the line for a 'carrier' or 'messenger', so
the weight of the wire is supported by the line and not the 14g THHN or what
ever. Every arms length or so I place a wrap of Scotch Super 33+. Every other
or so a UV rated tie wrap, then tape. The line will stretch slightly and pull
the antenna wire tight.YMMV73 Kriss KA1GJU��