Topband: Inquiring minds want to know....

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inquiring minds want to know....
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 19:50:53 +0000
Hello Topband propagation experts,

I have been messing around with listening to low frequency navigation beacons and wondering how reception on 200 kHz relates to 160 meters.  Not sure there is a correlation.  I have been listening on my 1942 Bendix aircraft radio, an MN-26C, which covers 150 to 1500 KHz. Well it is amazing how many NDBs I can identify. I found about 85 beacons in two nights of haphazard listening.  I also located a bunch of them that I could hear during the daytime. The daytime stations are close by for the most part, although there is a 25 watt beacon in Yarmouth, NS that comes in great over a distance  of several hundred miles.

So I was tuning around at 1 PM local time and picked up a fairly weak station that signed "OJ" on 239 kHz. I looked it up and it is located in northern Alberta and runs 500 watts. I was amazed that I could hear it over a 2000 mile path at almost mid day.  I noted that it peaked up best on my 330 degree beverage wire. It was also audible on my 290 degree beverage wire, but noticeably weaker.  I checked again at 4 PM to see if "OJ" was getting any louder. I could not detect it. (?)  I checked again as the night progressed and never heard it again.   I began to doubt what I had heard. There is another beacon signing "OW" about 3 kHz below 239 kHz, and located in Ottawa, ON. I had already located it and logged it. I wondered if I had miscopied them and got confused, but I cannot get OW to peak up at 330 degrees. I do hear OW during the day, but it is 3 kHz below, and peaks west or NW, but is not audible at 330 degrees where OJ was peaking.  I also am pretty sure I was copying OJ as I listened to it for about ten minutes and there was no QRM from other stations.  If you have ever listened to these beacons, you will note that mistakes are very possible as several beacons can be on the same frequency at night and tend to make copy problematic as the MCW signals combine to produce strange Morse characters. At 1 PM, that was not happening. OJ was in the clear and easy copy. Weak, but easy copy.

All this reminds me of the discussions about Marconi's first transatlantic transmissions and how many people think it was a fluke or maybe "smoke and mirrors".   What the heck happened that I could hear a long wave signal over 2000 miles away at mid day?

73

Dave K1WHS

ps. If anyone is interested in my Beacon list, I have a WORD document with all these NDBs listed that are audible here in Maine. Typical DX at night are 25 watt stations in Iowa and Georgia. I also hear a big NDB station in the Caymans.  With so many beacons sharing frequencies, it is hard to copy stations beyond about 1000 miles due to QRM.  Sometimes QSB can be your friend and you can copy other stations when a closer one fades out.