Re: Topband: . Re: PTFE wire supplier

To: Kriss Alan Kliegle KA1GJU <kliegle@myfairpoint.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: . Re: PTFE wire supplier
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:42:17 +0000
This is one reason that I am crying over the recent closing of ESS Surplus in Manchester, NH. They had surplus wire at $3 per pound, and they would take into account the weight of the spool, so the real price was more like $2.50 per pound. If I saw teflon wire, I would buy it. They would get the wire from excess stock from defense contractors in the area. I know that BAE Systems sold their scrap to them.  I bought all 15,000 ft of my 160 meter vertical radial wire from them.  Years ago, before BAE Systems, and Lockheed ran the plant, the place in Nashua NH was Sanders Associates and I would go to their sealed bid surplus auctions. It was so much of a hassle for them to document and keep track of wire spools that they did not even bother to put it up for auction. I remember one day going over to pick up some old surplus test gear that I won at auction. The warehouse guy showed me a huge pile of wire and said to help myself. I went through and picked up spools of different color teflon wire. I was not greedy and left plenty for others. Some reels were full. Others were partially or mostly used. I did get one new and full reel of 1500 ft of RG-316 small teflon double shielded silver braid coax. I looked up the price then, and it was well over $2000 for the roll, and it was being thrown out. He also offered me any relay rack that I wanted as they could not get rid of them, so it was all going in the dump! Some of the racks were very nice.

I sure miss those days!

Dave K1WHS