Topband: CQ WW Observations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQ WW Observations
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 08:51:50 -0500
There has been a number of varying comments about last weekend's contest.  I
thought some might be interested in my observations.

I entered the contest using 100 W Low Power driving a 2 el phased T top
vertical array with 45 radials below each element.  The station is located
in Vermont, about 150 miles from the coast in W1.

Friday was seriously "not good" to Europe from this QTH.  80% of the EU
stations CQing in my face as I am calling.  A handful of EU callers to CQs.
Many of those were spot chasing from skimmer and could really hear me
(multiple ? and repeats on the exchange).

Saturday to start the contest I went from 2130 - 2300Z low power.  It was "a
little better" calling EU stations but nor significantly.  I had 10 stations
I had put up on the band map to try again.  I decided to go high power for
the second night - a 13db increase in signal.

I went back and called the 10 EU stations on the band map.  I worked 5.  Got
??? a few times from 2.  And had 3 still CQ in my face.

About 1 hour later, while CQing, EU finally opened up here.  I put about 100
- 10 pointers in the log in the next 90 minutes - which saw the rate meter
hit 150 an hour a number of times.  Those are always fun.  What would that
90 mins have been low power?  Not sure.

The point is, the conditions were not "fabulous" everywhere.  Saturday night
from 01 - 05Z was great.  Other than that, not so much, from here.

The TopBand goddess is a fickle mistress.  Makes the band fun.  Enjoy the
great stuff when you have it.  Just don't assume everyone is saying the same
thing at the same time.  On Topband that is almost never the case.

Ed  N1UR