Topband: RDF vs F/B

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RDF vs F/B
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:59:43 -0500
Steve et all

I think both characteristics of receiving antennas are important depending on your location and the types of noise you are looking to "minimize"

For those of you (and I at one time)  who have the good fortune to be located in relative quiet rural / remote environments like the north woods 90km north of Calgary with little or no "man made" noise then I would agree that RDF is probably a better figure to use. There you are generally dealing with atmospherics rather than SMPS and variable speed furnace motors.

For those who have to live in the city or burbs then front to back may be a more useful in getting rid of a specific noise source. In fact Misek's steerable Beverages might be even more useful.

Increasingly though few of us in Suburban locations are dealing with only one noise source as we are surrounded by them. Surrounded by 3, 4 or more man made point sopurces
Now which characteristic do I lean towards?

Dave
NR1DX

--
Dave