Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Beverage impedance change in cold WX solved

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Beverage impedance change in cold WX solved
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 16:27:15 -0700
I completed my experiment, and it appears that cooling the transformer by 40
deg C has very little change on the matching transformer.

The 9:1 transformer was terminated with a 560 ohm resistor and swept with the
Nano-VNA and showed almost exactly 75 ohms on 160, 80 and 40m at room
temperature.
The transformer was put in the freezer that is at -20 deg C using my
temperature thermocouple gauge on the Fluke multimeter.
The transformer was swept again after an hour of cooling and the sweep was
virtually identical.  No change.

I made a short 2 min video showing the process as I chuck the transformer into
the freezer with the chicken.  My wife just shook her head as I explained I am
just doing a very typical Ham radio experiment.

vid here if you want to see my test method: https://youtu.be/CNkSrqG0H1c
73, de steve ve6wz