Re: Topband: Any Linrad selective limiter noise blanker experts here?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Any Linrad selective limiter noise blanker experts here?
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 08:40:08 -0700
The MFJ Noise canceler seems to work ok.  As a quick band aid for the contest.
 I have an AN4 and have never been very impressed with it.

W0MU

On 1/22/2020 4:34 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
Rick, there are irregularities in my noise - and in the previous utility
line noises I've had at my QTH - that prevent any
predict-the-exact-time-of-the-noise-spike-in-advance algorithms.

Although my sample size is small the experts have told me that randomly
raucous 2-4 spikes every 120Hz I see is entirely typical of
lightning arrestor faults.

To show you the irregularities, here is the impulse envelope, recorded
during daylight on 1.8MHz with a 20kHz wide filter and AM demodulator.
Notice the overall 120Hz repetition, but inside that there is a
substructure where evidently several arcs occur in the lightning arrestor
each cycle and the exact number and timing of those vary from cycle to
cycle:

http://n3qe.org/n3qe-noise-structure.png

And here is a short audio wav so you can hear some of raucous noise
structure.

http://n3qe.org/SDRSharp_20200120_210017Z_18050000Hz_AF.wav

Tim N3QE

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:50 PM Richard (Rick) Karlquist <