Re: Topband: Topband resource

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband resource
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 15:27:45 -0800
On 1/14/2020 2:53 PM, donovanf@starpower.net wrote:
I've had 160 horizontal dipoles at 100 feet and 200 feet high and
I've never experienced a situation where their performance
approached the consistent excellent performance of my verticals.

Same experience here. When I first moved to W6 in 2006, I rigged both a horizontal dipole at about 120 ft and a 75 ft Tee vertical with a lot on-ground radials, and for a year or two, switched between them on most stations. That horizontal dipole rarely outperformed the Tee vertical, and the vertical was often a LOT better. Most striking difference was in the 2-3 hours of daylight between 2 pm and 5 pm local, which is when 160 contests start on the west coast. Running legal limit with the vertical, I could regularly work 800 miles or so, usually one call. With the dipole, never even a QRZ?

73, Jim K9YC