Re: Topband: Good Conditions, little NA Activity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Good Conditions, little NA Activity
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 12:39:33 -0400
Roger,

I read some of your Wed Activity night reports and emails.

I admire your tenacity, but please allow me some observations (only because
many of your posts seem to indicate your surprise over not working more
stations):

Let's face it. Times have changed.

A lot of folks can only operate weekends, so it should come as no surprise
to you that there are not many NA's late on a Wednesday night for you to
work.

Wed night are the CWT's..one hour is probably enough to get your weekday CW
fix, so there's not a lot of motivation to get on 160m too.

A lot of folks have migrated to FT8 for their DX fix (fear not I won't get
into a FT8 vs. CW commentary)

A lot of folks rely on weekends for their activity and speaking only for
myself, I get 99% of what I need from contests.

With respect, you do not have a LARGE stn, so there are those that just
won't hear you.

So, while I praise you for your continued efforts to raise activity on 160m
Wed nights, it's my opinion only that it probably should not come with
continued surprise or incredulity that activity levels are low.

Maybe try another tack?  Like start your own mini Wed.160m CW club and offer
activity "awards" (much like CWOps).even if it's just a downloadable .pdf

I feel it's just a "different time" these days and you're likely fighting a
losing battle.

73 de Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB