Re: Topband: Activity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Activity
From: K9FD <merv.k9fd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 08:12:01 -1000
A5 guys were on both CW and FT-8 this morning,  signals that direction not too good it seemed. There was decent activity on CW and FT-8 was unreal,  today the band was open over the pole, not skew path,  right over the pole,  and say what you want,  it was shades of 2008-2009 era. Tons of Eu and Russian Eu/Asia,   QSB was fast and deep,  one second would be +0 and next transmission it would be -20.   Worked a number of stations, but had a blast listening to KL7SB he came on and there were 10 to 15 callers at a time, he was giving good reports and this continued for some time,  he was still going at it 30 mins after sunrise here, Myself I could still work EU on QSB peaks 30 to 45 mins after sunrise.  One of the memorable
160 openings.
I am hopeful next season will be even better,  I think the lowest is yet to come,  and even perhaps
2021 before the upturn starts.
73 Merv K9FD  Molokai Island Hawaii

Conditions were moderately good last evening (NA time) to Europe.  I got on at my SS and then again
later in the evening and put 32 EUs (CW) in the log including some call signs I’ve not heard
from in several years.  The A50BOC crew have been active and are trying hard on the low bands.  This
morning they were QRV on 1826.5 (QSX up 1) and 1836 on FT-8 somewhat taking turns with modes.  About
four NA stations that I’m aware of had success on CW.  They were also on 7002 and 60m (FT-8 I
believe). . .so they’ve been busy and are clearly making a serious effort.  They have been
working on improving their Beverages.  Good luck to all who need them.           73. . .Merry
Christmas/Happy Holidays. . . Dave, W0FLS in Iowa