Re: Topband: Ohmic resistance question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ohmic resistance question
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 01:29:40 -0500
As I suspected ..... thy "digging implement" tis naught but a spade ..... !!!!!

Dave
NR1DX

On 11/23/2019 11:42 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 11/23/2019 8:04 PM, GEORGE WALLNER wrote:
I think the question was meant as a joke, as it is called "galvanic isolation".

Almost 20 years ago, an international group of engineers that made up the Working Group of which I was Vice-Chair went around about "galvanic isolation" while writing AES Standards for EMC. The result of our discussions was that the term had no real meaning because no one could produce a real definition for it in the literature.

Likewise, NR1DX was right to question "Ohmic Isolation."� If we mean DC isolation, we should say so. If we mean that there is a two-winding transformer to minimize common mode current, we should say that. Too many words like "ground" and "balun" have multiple meanings -- they are confusing, obscure how things work, and cause people to do the wrong things to solve problems.

73, Jim K9YC

--
Dave
Manuals@ArtekManuals.com