Re: Topband: Ground return wire under a Beverage

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "Artek Manuals" <Manuals@artekmanuals.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground return wire under a Beverage
From: <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 18:25:18 -0500
Unfortunately, there is some information in the Misek book that is simply not correct based on today's knowledge. 73. . .Dave, W0FLS

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Waters
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2019 5:29 PM
To: Artek Manuals
Cc: topband

Hello Dave,

I have not tried that, because I heard a number of well-known Beverage
antenna experts report that it doesn't help at all. It actually hurts the
performance.

A Beverage antenna requires lossy ground under it in order for that
low-angle directional pattern to form. That is why Beverages erected over a
highly conductive salt marsh do not work well, if at all. I was told by one
of Vik's ham neighbors  (KM1H, Carl) who regularly drives by his house that
Misek himself no longer uses them.

Such an antenna can work to *some* degree because the Beverage can still
"see" the lossy earth on either side of the wire on the ground.

73, Mike
http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019, 3:53 PM Artek Manuals <Manuals@artekmanuals.com>