Topband: Furnace RFI redux

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Furnace RFI redux
From: lmlangenfeld <lmlangenfeld@tds.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 16:14:46 -0500
If you have been following this thread, you have learned:(1) ECM blower motors
are beginning to dominate the market. The issue isn't going away, and will
likely become more prominent as older furnaces start needing replacement.(2)
ECM motors either will or will not create an RFI problem.(3) At least one
manufacturer offers its dealers an optional EMI/RFI filter kit, which helps
reduce (but does not cure) pulsed speed controller interference.(4) Additional
work by the homeowner may improve things further, but may or may not invite
warranty issues.In short, there is no concise and consistent answer.  It is,
like so many other things, highly situational -- the classic YMMV.Thanks to all
who weighed in -- I very much appreciate it.73,Mark -- WA9ETWSent from my U.S.
Cellular® Smartphone