Re: Topband: inverted l

To: doug49707@gmail.com, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: inverted l
From: Michael Walker <va3mw@portcredit.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 21:52:53 -0400
Hi Doug

Ignore those splitting hairs.  :)

Yes, and inverted L will represent a load that should work for your radio
without any additional tuners (should).

I run an inverted L right up the side of an 80 ft pine tree and then I have
4 elevated radials.  2 of those radials parallel a fence that surrounds a
Tennis court.  Not much I can do about it.  The horizontal part goes over
to another tree.  Many say the fence will detune the antenna, but I don't
see it and it closely resembles the numbers when I plugged them into AO
(Antenna Optimizer).

To prevent the winds from tearing it apart, I have about 30ft of UV protect
shock cord on the rest of the horizontal part before the line heads down
the other support tree.  Since I added the 1/4" shock cord, I have not had
a fracture in the antenna.  In the past, when it did fracture, I had to
take the Quad Copter out and re-drop a new line.  :)

My antenna is NOT SWR flat across the entire band, which is good.  The
flatter the SWR you have the more ground losses and less radiated signal.
I forgot what  my 2:1 SWR bandwidth is, but it is about 1800khz to 1905 or
so.  It depends if the ground is frozen or not.

I've worked the world on this antenna.  Short story, I highly recommend you
build it and try it.  If it works, awesome.  If it doesn't try something
else.  It is just wire and you can re-use it.   If you get this shortly
after I right this, you can look at my PSK Report Link for FT8 and see what
parts of the world I was heard in tonight even with the solar storm.
https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html?preset&callsign=va3mw&band=600000-3000000&timerange=86400

I hope that helps, Mike va3mw