Re: Topband: 160: Digital only DXCC needed

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160: Digital only DXCC needed
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:39:34 -0500 (CDT)
Kevin,

You are certainly welcome (as long as Tree allows ...) to post your
views and opinions as anyone else. However, I don't agree with many
of your statements as they do not represent my views or experiences.

So please hold off on the "WE = everyone" bit please as I don't recall
asking or giving permission for others to speak for me. QSL OM?

A week ago folks were trying to shame others as to "Oh NO FT8 can't
run automatically". (Wink Wink Nod Say No More). Reality is that dirty
little secret is actually well known. Too late to control/prevent it.

And as to the ARRL rule ... how would anyone know if they did or are
working a real person on FT8, again too late now to control/prevent it.

Along the line of what Jeff, K1ZM posted that upset Mike. Within the RTTY
side there has been much concern as to the FCC (and with ARRL support?)
changing the rules to allow even more unattended, encrypted communications.

Much of that support seems to come from marine (think really non-amateur)
ship/boat owners using ham bands as their way of communicating who knows what.

And so now there are two fundamentally opposed camps on that possibility.

Sure seems to be some similarity between that mode and FT8/FT? ... if so,
are we about to see the 'battles of the robots' QRM on the bands?

Right now there are posts on the CQ Contest forum as to FT4 being set
to use 7047 .. roughly in the middle of the 40 CW band. It will be very
interesting to see how that plays out next, hopefully in a positive way.

Jerry, K4SAV once again is looking for verifiable information. Past posts
on Top Band seems to indicate small changes as of ~1 dB might be enough
to make/not make the QSO. What is the real repeatable difference on FTx?

(and when if will FT4 make an appearance on the other bands ...)

As others noted, the fad mode (it's how many years old?) no doubt has drawn
much attention and activity for the short term. Seeing overall data and not
just a limited view might (key word) moderate some of the excitement? So far
we are seeing subjective pluses and minuses as to the risk and rewards.

Where I do agree 100% with you is the W6AM book is an excellent shack item. B-)

Recall my two concerns ... damage the hobby
                           destroy personal relationships

Billy, AA4NU